“GO” can be followed by an activity:
“GO TO” can be followed by a destination:
go to the supermarket
go to the mountain
go to the lake
go to the dance club
go to the swimming pool
go to the campsite
go to the bowling alley
go to the golf course
go to the beach
go to the skydiving school
We can also combine both phrases, using FOR:
go to the supermarket for shopping
go to the mountain for hiking
go to the lake for fishing
go to the dance club for dancing
go to the swimming pool for swimming
go to the campsite for camping
go to the bowling alley for bowling
go to the golf course for golfing
go to the beach for surfing
go to the skydiving school for skydiving
We can also combine both phrases, using AT:
go shopping at the supermarket
go hiking at the mountain
go fishing at the lake
go dancing at the dance club
go swimming at the swimming pool
go camping at the campsite
go bowling at the bowling alley
go golfing at the golf course
go surfing at the beach
go skydiving at the skydiving school
For practice, try to complete the following sentences by filling the empty spaces:
1. I want to ________ shopping tomorrow.
2. I don’t need to __________ the supermarket today.
3. My favorite fitness activity is ____________ the swimming pool for fitness swimming.
4. I never _____ camping at the campsite. I always ______ the mountain for camping.
5. Last night I __________bowling with my friends.
6. Next weekend I will ________ the lake with my friends. We will _________ fishing together.
7. You should never ________ camping alone. It is dangerous and scary.
8. I always take shopping bags when I __________ the supermarket.
9. I used to ________ surfing every weekend, but I never ________ the beach anymore.
10. I have never ________ skydiving, so I need to _______ the skydiving school first.
11. I will never ________ the dance club again. I don’t want to ______ dancing anymore.
12. I like to ______ hiking when the weather is nice, but if the weather is bad, ____________ the mountain is a bad idea.